“One Welfare” builds on the One Health concept and is a way to recognize the many social interconnections between human welfare, animal welfare and the integrity of the environment. In practice, it is also a call for a coordinated program of action:
- to improve human welfare in order to improve animal welfare (and vice versa)
- to coordinate actions between animal welfare, human mental health and other services, and
- support environmental stewardship as a fundamental step for both human and animal welfare.
AHC has identified a need for increased awareness and advocacy for the improvement of mental health resources for farmers, farm staff, service providers and veterinary personnel within the agricultural industry. One Welfare was initiated as a work area to investigate the concept of One Welfare as it pertains to the aspect of mental health promotion and support for these stakeholder groups and this is led by the One Welfare Committee.
One Welfare reports and commentary are listed below:
- Canadian Veterinary Journal June 2020 ethical question of the month response from the National Farmed Animal Health and Welfare Council One Welfare Committee - June 2020
- NFAHW Council One Welfare Consultation Overview - 2019
- Enhancing Canada’s Agricultural Well-Being Through a One Welfare Approach - 2019
- NFAHW Council One Welfare Interim Report - 2017